Turmeric Spices Found Heavily Contaminated with Toxic Lead. FDA Forces Nationwide Recall for Several Brands
Three manufacturers of turmeric spice had to recall their products as a result of a serious level of lead which was found in their spices.
Every person that consumes products containing turmeric from those questionable manufacturers, are exposing their health to risk due to the high level of toxic heavy metal substances in the spice.
These toxins can further provoke serious brain, heart damage as well as disorders of the bones. Lead usually is found in turmeric powders and products that are low-quality since greater number of turmeric is grown in the areas around China and India, places with a high-lead soil. Later, great number of turmeric is imported in the USA.
Bear in mind that if a product is labeled as processed and packaged in the USA, it does not mean that it comes from the USA.
The accumulating properties of the lead can imbalance the nervous system and the vital organs in the human body.
The FDA agrees with the fact that an excessive exposure to lead could cause many health issues especially delayed physical and mental development. Children and pregnant women should especially avoid being exposed to lead products.
The FDA does not point out what amount of lead is an excessive one The FDA analyses and controls the manufacturers of food and supplement in the USA, checking their facilities, taking samples, test them via ICP-OES or ICP-MS. Surprisingly, FDA still reject to tell the public how much lead should signal a recall.
The website of FDA not only enlists the companies but provides pictures of them. Those having questions about the recall of products should contact Gel Spice, Inc.at (201) 564-0435. They could be contacted from 8am to 4pm (Eastern Standard Time).
Gel Spice gives advices to those having such products to refrain and throw them from usage. This recall is an expanded previous recall: Gel Spice recalls Fresh Finds Ground Turmeric Powder since it is loaded with lead.
The product is packaged in 3.75 oz. PET jars. Its code on the container is B/B 03/08/19 and B/B 05/18/19 while its UPC code is 81026-01230. It was distributed at Big Lots Stores along the U.S.
Why the exposure of lead is dangerous?
The ground-turmeric poses a serious risk of lead contamination if a suitable action is not taken. It is especially serious for young children, pregnant women, adults and those with weak immune system.
Health documents enlist the following symptoms of exposure to lead:
- Sleep problems
- Less appetite
- Memory loss
- Aggressive behavior
- Abdominal pain
- Kidney dysfunction
- Abdominal cramps
- Loss of developmental skills in children
An excessive exposure of lead for a longer period could cause intellectual disabilities. This could not happen after one single exposure but parents should be cautious for some common contact.
If you doubt that your children are exposed to lead, see your doctor immediately. Through a blood test, the level of lead in your blood will be determined as well as the following treatment.